Friday, September 28, 2012

It's Raining Dogs!

Not only have we been blessed with the addition of Giant to our family, but we now have two more four-legged critters we call our own. Here's their story:
 
I woke up around 1am this morning to the sound of Giant crying- telling me he needs to go out and go potty. So I put his leash on and took him outside. Immediately we heard a young puppy's cries coming from down the road. I assumed that the nearest neighbors had perhaps got a puppy and left it outside, and I really didn't think much more of it. But to be safe, I called Handy Husband, who has been working nights, and let him know to be on the lookout for a puppy on the road on his way home.
 
Giant wanted us to go look for the puppy... he nearly pulled me down the road. But I resisted, as it WAS 1 o'clock in the morning. I forced him to come back inside where I closed the windows in the hopes that he wouldn't be able to hear the puppy cry. I tried to go back to sleep, but presently began to hear the puppy crying ever louder and louder- even with all the windows closed!
 
Once again, I got out of bed, put my shoes on and grabbed the flash-light. The puppy's cries were definitely louder and closer. I know realized that this was a dumped puppy... not a neighbors' dog. You could hear the sad, desperate pleas in his little voice. I took off down the road in the direction of his cries, and it didn't take long to reach the dark shadowy lump in the middle of the road. When I got close enough that I thought he'd be able to hear me, I started talking to him, and without hesitating, he ran right up to me. Wet from the dew, and wimpering the entire walk home, he seemed happy to be in my arms.
 
Thinking that this was the only puppy that had been dumped, since he was, afterall, alone, I never even considered that there were more out there. But this afternoon, on our way into town, we came upon another little ball of fluff in the middle of the road... this time an almost-white girl. These two puppies are obviously siblings... same age, same body type, same sort of fur. I just HOPE there are no more out there. It breaks my heart to think about how scared these little creatures were when they were dumped.
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

We would LOVE to hear from you! Please leave a comment!